Acknowledging the fact that professionals are constrained from attending Continuing Professional Development (CPD) programs and learning activities that entail mass gathering due to the imposition of social distancing during this time of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Public Health Emergency,the Professional Regulation Commission is reiterating ways of learning that can earn CPD Credit Units through:
- Informal Learning(Commission Resolution No. 1208 s.2019) -
Informal Learning refers to learning that occurs in daily life and which can contribute to a qualification. Examples are:
1) Reading of books, magazine, journals, and the like that will develop leadership, management, and other skills;
2) Learning how to use cross platform Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) and instant messaging using cloud-based video conferencing tool to meet with co-workers;
3) Learning how to prepare gluten free meals and baked products; and
4) Learning how to do urban gardening for home consumption of organic vegetables and fruits.
- Professional Work Experience(Commission Resolution No. 1208, s.2019) -
Professional Work Experience refers to practice at work place that is directly related to profession.Examples are:
1) Reading of books, magazine, journals, and the like on how to improve knowledge and skills in the field of professional practice;
2) Learning how to fashion wheelchairs for pediatric patients with special needs; 3) Learning how to design homes for the elderly population;
4) Learning how to design modules for online teaching;
5) Learning ways of collecting and disseminating information to faculty and students who are studying by distance education; and
6) Providing professional consultancy services to clients.
- Self-Directed Learning(Commission Resolution No. 1197, s.2019) –
Self-Directed Learning Activities are the learning activities such as online training, local/international seminar, non-degree courses, institution / company-sponsored training programs, and the like, which did not undergo CPD accreditation but may be awarded CPD units by the respective CPD Council. These activities are driven by one's need and motivation to learn either through a professional activity or volunteer engagement.
i. Professional Activity refers to activity which promotes and facilitates enhancement of knowledge, skills and values as a professional.
ii. Volunteer Engagement refers to activity done under the ambit of social responsibility, which may or may not directly involve the practice of profession, but may help in the development of the professional in the social milieu.
- Online Learning Activities refer to structured or unstructured learning initiatives, which make use of the internet and other web-based Information and Communication Technology solutions. (Section 3(p), Article I of the CPD Act of 2016).
In addition, the PRC is extending the acceptance of Undertaking until December 31, 2021 to enable the professionals to apply for the renewal of their Professional Identification Card (PIC) even without or incomplete CPD units.
For details of the Resolution, please click the link below: https://www.prc.gov.ph/sites/default/files/2020-1240ReteratingWays.pdf.